How to Prevent Trail Camera Theft | TrailCam SHIELD vs Trail Camera Lockboxes | Which one is better?
“How do I prevent my trail camera from being stolen?”
“What is the best way to prevent my trail camera from being stolen?
“My trail camera was stolen again, how do I stop it?
“Do you know of any tips on how to keep trail cameras from being stolen?”
We hear those questions all the time! Hunters need to know how to best protect their trail cameras from theft. Trail camera lock boxes are probably the most common way to prevent trail camera theft but are they the best? Here we will discuss the things that are good and bad about both the TrailCam SHIELD and lockboxes.
If you haven’t heard about TrailCAM SHIELD. You can check it out here. In summary, it is theft prevention decal that gives the perception that the trail camera has GPS tracking device inside. Our SHIELD can be used with an actual GPS tracker/ GPS tracking camera or used as stand alone deterrent. This durable decal prevents game camera theft by getting into the head of thieves and negating their impulse to steal your game camera.
Now, let's discuss the best way to stop Trail Cameras / Game Camera theft!
Pros and Cons of Lockboxes and TrailCam SHIELD.
Pros of Trail Camera Lock Boxes:
- Physical deterrent
- Harder for potential thieves to break into
- Simple, easy to understand
Cons of Trail Camera Lock Boxes:
- Expensive ($40 plus), Lock boxes are a very expensive option to protect your cams especially if you run lot of trail cameras each year.
- Affect Quality of Pictures: Most lock boxes don’t fit your camera model well. This can cause picture quality, cause the box not to close, or block the sensor.
- Bulky: It is hard to pack multiple in your bag when scouting and deploying trail cameras on public land or private property.
- Expensive Accessories: You are forced to use in conjunction with locking cables in order to secure it to tree which adds at least another $20 bucks to your initial purchase.
- Forgotten Keys: It happens all the time. You can't way to go check your trail cameras and you get to the tree only to remember that you forgot your key to the lock. Don't forget your keys or you can’t check your camera that day.
- Attracts Attention: Potential thieves can see your metal box hanging on a tree from hundreds of yards away. Instead of preventing trail camera theft, it may actually attract thieves to your game camera location.
Pros of TrailCam SHIELD:
- Inexpensive: At only $3.99 to $5.99 per SHIELD you can protect all your deer cameras at the price of one lock box.
- Innovative: Potential thieves are used to seeing lockboxes and have learned how to break into them. TrailCam SHIELD is new innovative theft deterrent that gets into the head of thieves, negating their impulse to steal.
- Mental Deterrent: Psychologists and Criminologists say a mental deterrent that increases the perception that the criminal will caught is the best way to deter theft. (i.e home security signs, "Smile you are on camera" signs, posted signs. etc.)
- Scientific System: TrailCam SHIELD was created using a well-known scientific concept called Deterrence Theory.
- Camouflage: Unlike lockboxes, TrailCam SHIELD blends in with your camera and the surroundings so wildlife won’t spook and potential thieves won’t be attracted to the area. Large clunky lockboxes may actually increase the likelihood your trail camera will be stolen because of how visible it makes your camera.
- Easy to Set up: Our SHIELDs can be placed on any flat surface on your game cameras. That’s it! Your trail camera now has mental deterrent to prevent theft.
- Versatile: Our SHIELDs can be used in conjunction with an actual GPS tracker or used as stand alone deterent. Thieves won't know if your camera is being tracked or not.
Cons of TrailCam SHIELD:
- Lack of physical deterrent: This is an obvious one, however, hunters should remember that criminologists tell us the #1 way to stop trail camera theft is to increase the perception the thief will get caught, not necessarily a physical deterrent. TrailCam SHIELD does just that.
We urge you to decide which system works best for your situation and your wallet. Both are great ways to theft-proof your scouting cameras. Trail cams being stolen and thieves getting away with has got to stop. Sportsman's Shield is dedicated to stopping your cameras from being stolen. Together, we can bring back the traditions of integrity and respect for our fellow outdoorsmen.
We recommend using both together but if you are looking for the most versatile, effective solution we recommend TrailCam SHIELD for all your trail camera theft prevention needs. We are confident you will find that TrailCam SHIELD is the most effective anti-theft device for trail cameras on the market. Our team has watched many thieves go to steal our game cameras only to stop in their tracks once they see TrailCam SHIELD. It stops camera thieves. Plain and Simple!
Prevent Trail Camera Theft Today! Protect your investment. Get your TrailCam SHIELD today. Click Here to check it out.
As always, Hunt More, Worry Less.